Colleen Archer is responsible for all helminth related laboratory work, especially Ascaris, concerning the safe re-use of sanitation waste. She also provides training for students and visiting scientists and is presently employed to do capacity building for all Gates grantees (internationally) who require training and quality control in this field of sanitation research.
• ANDERSON CB, ARCHER CE, JACKSON TFHG, APPLETON CC & ADAMS, VJ (2001) Unusual Parasites and Common Artefacts found in Human Stools. Journal of the South African Veterinary Association 73: 153
• KVALSVIG JD, APPLETON CC, ARCHER CE, et al. (2001) The KwaZulu-Natal Parasite Control Programme 1998-2000. Report to the Department of Health of KwaZulu-Natal 42pp.
• ARCHER CE, APPLETON CC (2002) Comparison between locally produced and imported Kato-Katz kits for monitoring helminth control programmes in South Africa. The Southern African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection 17 (3,4): 39-41
• APPLETON CC & ARCHER CE (2006) Intestinal parasites of rats from Durban and implications for human health. (Abstract). Rats and Human Health in Africa: Proceedings of an international workshop on rodent-borne diseases and the Ratzooman research project 3-6 May 2006, Malelane, South Africa, pp.15-16
• PRIYA MOODLEY, COLLEEN ARCHER & DAVID HAWKSWORTH in association with LIZETTE LEIBACH (2008) Standard Methods for the Recovery and Enumeration of Helminth Ova in Waste-water, Sludge, Compost and Urine-Diversion Waste in South Africa. WRC TT Report No. 322/08
• CA BUCKLEY, KM FOXON, DJ HAWKSWORTH, C ARCHER, et al. (2008) Research into UD/VIDP (Urine Diversion/ Ventilated Improved Double Pit) Toilets: Prevalence and Die-off of Ascaris Ova in UD Waste. WRC TT Report No. 356/08
• KLARA J. PETRZELKOVA, HIDEO HASEGAWA, CHRIS C. APPLETON, MICHAEL A. HUFFMANN, COLLEEN ARCHER, et al; (2010) Gastrointestinal Parasites of the Chimpanzee Population Introduced onto Rubondo Island National Park, Tanzania. American Journal of Primatology 72:307-316
• LINDA TRÖNNBERG, DAVID HAWKSWORTH, ANETTE HANSEN, COLLEEN ARCHER, THOR-AXEL STENSTROM (2010) Household-based prevalence of helminthes and parasitic protozoa in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, assessed from faecal vault sampling. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 104:646-654
• CE ARCHER, CC APPLETON, S MUKARATIRWA, KJ HOPE (2011) The rat lung-worm, Angiostrongylus cantonensis: A first report in South Africa. South African Medical Journal 101 (3):174-175
• JULIO A. BENAVIDES, ELISE HUCHARD, NATHALIE PETTORELLI, ANDREW J. KING, MOLLY E. BROWN, COLLEEN E. ARCHER, CHRIS C. APPLETON, MICHAEL RAYMOND and GUY COWLISHAW (2012) From Parasite Encounter to Infection: Multiple-Scale Drivers of Parasite Richness in a Wild Social Primate Population. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 147 (1):52-63
• PAULA PEBSWORTH, COLLEEN ARCHER, MIKE HUFFMAN, CHRIS APPLETON (2012) Parasite Transmission Risk From Geophagic and Foraging Behavior in Chacma Baboons. American Journal of Primatology 7: 940-947
• ASTRID M KNOBLAUCH, MIRKO S WINKLER, COLLEEN ARCHER, MARK J DIVALL, MILKA OWUOR, RAOUL M YAPO, POKOU A YAO AND JÜRG UTZINGER (2014) The epidemiology of malaria and anaemia in the Bonikro mining area, central Côte d’Ivoire. Malaria Journal 13:194 http://www.malariajournal.com/content/13/1/194
• D. BELCHER, G.L. FOUTCH, J. SMAY, C. ARCHER, C.A. BUCKLEY (2015) Viscous heating effect on deactivation of helminth eggs in ventilated improved pit sludge. Water Science & Technology 72 (7): 1119-1126